Welcome!

Thank you for taking the time to look at my blog. Mostly this is a record of my journey- through what exactly
I do not know yet, so for now we will just say: Life- and all that comes with it.

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Chocolate Strawberry Pie and So Much More!

For those who haven't mastered the pattern yet, I basically cook every other weekend. Two weekends ago I changed things up a bit, I am going to start requiring myself to make one Pinterest recipe as well as the one from my secret recipe book (working title). From the book I made an orange chicken dish, which I paired with my age old coconut rice. From Pinterest I made a strawberry chocolate pie. As usual for me I couldn't possibly have bought everything I needed in just one shopping trip. So upon realizing I needed to return to the store I decided I would also pick up some avocados to make a fried avocado recipe I had also seen on Pinterest.

The chicken recipe is basically baked chicken fingers with orange marmalade. I started by doing a cooks secret when it comes to chicken fingers: bathing the chicken in buttermilk. It sounds odd, but it makes the chicken so moist! Then I rubbed the chicken with the orange marmalade.


Then after coating the chicken in Panko I popped it in the oven to bake for about 25 minutes. (Note for future: use a nonstick spray because the marmalade layer sticks!)


The coconut rice is just a simple replacement: rather than 2 cups water for 1 cup of rice you would use 1 cup of coconut milk and 1 cup of water. I love this rice!


I served the chicken on top of a bed of baby spinach, with a dressing that is made from one part orange marmalade and two parts zesty Italian dressing.


The fried avocados are actually quite easy! Slice up the avocado, a little thick so they don't fall apart during frying, and sprinkle on some salt and pepper.

Then coat them on each side with flour, then egg, then a panko and Parmesan mixture. Fry them in just enough oil to cover the pan, until golden brown on each side (1-2 minutes).
I might be biased (because of my love for avocados) but this was amazing, the inside of the avocado still held all of its original properties, but the outside is crispy and delicious! Can't wait to make these again.


For dessert I made pie. I actually made two because I thought it was something I would love, but between my lack of desire for sweets currently (hallelujah, don't know why but I'll take it), my extremely picky sweet tooth, and allergies I just didn't find the pie appealing. I made a chocolate strawberry pie. Please don't let my lack of appetite for sweets make you think less of this pie, I brought one to church and it was gone in a matter of minutes. Plus in the midst of the rave reviews was an offer (jokingly) to be a live in cook. Needless to say the pie had many fans.

First you make an Oreo crust - I don't have a food processor so I am forced to do things the old fashioned way, beating them with my rolling pin. Of course I got tired before they were crushed as much as they should be so I made a chunky crust (most people actually liked it this way - lucky me).


After chilling the crust you place a single layer of halved strawberries in the bottom of it.


Then you make some homemade chocolate pudding and pour it in, making sure it's flat across the top.


Last you put decorative strawberries on top too, then chill 4 hours, or overnight.

Once again it has taken me two weeks to post this food, so today is another cooking day. Hopefully I'll get these new treats out to y'all soon! Also in a little side note I recently purchased tickets to go to Spain! Which means during the last half of April (while I'm there) there won't be any new recipes, but I'm sure there will be at least one post about the trip and some included pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment